The Castle of Verrazzano is located on a hilltop between Florence and Siena, in the Greve district of Tuscany’s Chianti Classico zone. Flanked by woodland, its borders have remained unaltered for almost 1000 years-an outpost of stability in a landscape marked by centuries of family and political feuding.
Since acquiring the estate in 1958, the Cappellini family has renewed Verrazzano’s vineyards, which fan out from the forest limits down to the valley below. Fertilization is organic and vineyards are mechanically weeded, harvest is conducted entirely by hand. Under Luigi Cappellini’s direction a careful method of yield reduction has been implemented, in which selected bunches of grapes are cut back and discarded during the growing season, resulting in a heightened concentration of flavour in the remaining fruit and increasingly high quality and aromatic richness of the wines here produced