Appellation d’origine contrôlée’ of Saint-Julien‘Grand cru classé’ in 1855.The origins of Château Ducru-Beaucaillou lie in the 18th century, specifically 1720. It owes its name to the ‘beautiful large pebbles / stones’ that characterise its terroir, which offers exceptional wine-making conditions that translate into the finesse and elegance of its wines. Like the greatest of the ‘grands crus classés’ that stretch along the estuary from Margaux in the south to Saint-Estèphe in the north, this estate is perched on a splendid Médoc site with incomparable views over the Gironde.It is one of the only castles in Bordeaux to be built over its cellars, and one of the few estates producing a ‘grand cru classé’ still inhabited by its owners. The Borie family has owned this estate for over sixty years. Jean-Eugène Borie SA runs the estate which belongs to Mrs Jean-Eugène Borie, her daughter Sabine Coiffe and her son Bruno Eugène (Chairman of the Board).