CHÂTEAU Palmer is named after the English major general, Charles Palmer, who acquired the property in 1814. His objective was to promote his wine within British high society and, to this day, the British remain very fond of it. The vineyard was purchased in 1853 by the Pereire brothers who built the existing CHÂTEAU. In the 1855 classification, Palmer stumbled on the podium and was awarded the rank of third Cru Classé. However, it was considered by many to be the best wine in the appellation, until the revival of CHÂTEAU Margaux at the end of the 1970s which sparked the old rivalry again. Today, it belongs to several families, of French, English and Dutch nationality. Harvests are of course manual, and vinification traditional; the grapes from each plot and each variety being vinified in separate vats to bring out their individual characteristics.
Region: Bordeaux, France
Grapes: Other Red